In the locality have been found several finds attributable to the Paleolithic, Neo-eneolithic and bronze periods as well as various Roman fragments (1). The history of the villa is linked to the ancient castle probably located in the relief, where stands the villa Anna, between the river Coviolo and t. Quaresimo, bordering the Municipality of Quattro Castella. The Castle of Sassoforte is mentioned the first time in a map of the Monastery of Marola 1146 (2); in the area, however, since 1134 is remembered a land called "Mucola dei Traversari" granted to make you a saline and the Fabbi also mentions the existence of the castle, 1017, as belonging to the Attonide family of the Arduini (3).
The Castle was also joined by the church of St. John now in the territory of Cavriago, dependent on Bibbiano, to which it was donated in 1157 by the Monastery of Marola; in 1543 it was a simple oratory sinecura (4). The Church of St. Bartholomew, consecrated in 1151, which also belonged to the Marola Monastery, is named again in 1181. The Bull of Celestine III of 1192, in favour of the same Monastery, indicates "duas Ecclesias de Sassoforti; unam in Castro videlicet Sancti Johanis et aliam deforis Sancti Bartholomei" (5). The Commenda dei Monaci di S. Agostino Church was built in 1561. In 1816 it was enlarged, restored in 1891 and again in 1935-41.It has a facade oriented liturgically, marked by pilasters and concluded by a frontispiece arched tympanum. The joints to the two minor side bodies are crowned by pyramidal acrothers. The portal is architraved with triangular tympanum and upper bezel. The building is large and spacious, decorated by Armando Melloni; it highlights the magnificent oak door with artistic rose windows, the work of Rainaldo Tarasconi Cavriago in 1891 (6). There was also a third church dedicated to St. Virgil, of the Monastery of St. Thomas of Reggio, Mentioned in the Bull of Lucius III of 1184 7. In the visit Vervini of 1543 was already destroyed and remained a simple oratory reported then in the Visits Rangone of 1593 and Picenardi of 1706, about 600 steps from the parish (8).In 1447 the territory of S. Bartolomeo was annexed to the Municipality of Quaresimo (9). The Estimo of 1458 reports the existence of 13 "fires". The feud was then ceded to the Canossa and later to the Counts Borrini. At the end of the eighteenth century there were 227 inhabitants (10). In the republican period it was united to the Municipality of Reggio, then to Cavriago and Bibbiano, autonomous Municipality from 1801 to 1805 and definitively annexed to the chief town in 1815 (11). Next to the church of S. Bartolomeo is noteworthy an interesting rural building with juxtaposed elements. The rustic is fronted by a porch with architrave lights; the roof is two pitches with unique ridge.