In the locality have been found some archaeological finds of Roman times (1). In 1055 it possessed assets the Monastery of St. Prospero (2) and from 1058 the Canons of Reggio, confirmed then in privileges of 1040 and 1178 (3). The Estimo of 1315 includes 18 families of sharecroppers and 8 of owners qualifying Coviolo as a "slope" of the district of S. Lorenzo di Reggio (4). In 1447 it is an autonomous municipality, then passed to Rivalta and from 1815 to Reggio (5). The Estimo of 1458 counts 25 "fires" and at the end of the eighteenth century there are 575 inhabitants (6). Since 1111 there is news of the chapel, consecrated in 1168 to SS. Gervasio and Protasio; was dependent on the Monastery of St. Pospero, which remains subject until 1520.
In the sixteenth century figure in bad condition. In 1575 was ordered the repair of the roof and a new ceiling but still threatens ruin in 1578. In 1652 it was a single ship with a ceiling in planks, the west door and five windows. With the Visit of Bishop Marliani in 1663 it presents a semicircular choir, the tower to the north, next to the presbytery and the Rectory on the same side; it is however in very bad condition. In 1723, designed by the architect Prospero Mattioli of Reggio, the foundations of the new Church were laid. In 1780 the façade was made under the direction of the master builder Sebastiano Zanni and the tower was raised demolishing the rustic part of the Rectory which was rebuilt further away (7). The Church has a wide bipartite facade with a string track, punctuated by pilasters and concluded by a triangular frontispiece. It is oriented liturgically to the west; noteworthy are the pilasters entrance to the churchyard and the main door architravata with frieze with superior cartouche.