The church of S.Agostino as it appears today is the work of the architect Gaspare Vigarani (1652). The facade is later (1746), designed by Alfonso Torreggiani. It was restored at the end of the nineteenth century after decades of neglect. The bell tower dates back to 1493 and largely takes up the previous structure of 1452, designed by Antonio Casotti and became unsafe after a few years. The history of the church is however much older than its seventeenth-century reconstruction. In 714, according to some historians, there was the church of S. Apollinare, destroyed in 1240 during the struggles between Guelphs and Ghibellines.The title to St.Augustine dates back to the reconstruction (in "Lombard" style) of 1272, when the monastery of the canons of St.Prospero in Castello, which were its owners, stood on the side. At the end of the century. XV the whole structure is unsafe and remains so until the rebuilding of the seventeenth century. The theatrical style of Vigarani (stage designer of European fame) is manifested in the decoration and in the games of lights and shadows determined of the quintet formed by the great close columns.