The core of the church is very old. In 1400 it passed to the Confraternity of San Girolamo that will take care of its reconstruction, entrusting the task in 1646 to Gaspare Vigarani, famous architect and set designer who also worked at the court of Louis XIV of France.
The interior is particularly original as it consists of three oratories connected to each other by marble corridors and stairs, one of which is known as the "Scala Santa", modelled on that of Rome.One church, rectangular, is placed on the front porch, the other, called "La Rotonda" is articulated on two orders of overlapping colonnades, decorated with statues of saints in stucco; finally, the "Underground" (Crypt) where a sepulchre is rebuilt in imitation of that of Jerusalem.
Around 8 am on September 14, a light penetrates and illuminates a terracotta tile representing Christ on the Cross with the sorrowful, the liturgical calendar celebrates on this day the Exaltation of the Cross. At the same time, the statue of Saint Taddeo, placed in one of the niches above the central altar, also enjoys a particular illumination.
For the guided tour the professional service of a qualified tour guide is required.
See also the IAT of Reggio Emilia.